Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Here's to the New Year

January is a very common time to reflect. One year has ended and a brand new one starting. In the past two days I read a book...the fact that it only took me two days is amazing in its self. This particular book is set around Christmas, reflecting the good and bad in all of us. It's about relationships and how many are taken for granted. It's called "The Gift" and is by an author that I have come to enjoy...Cecelia Ahern. She wrote "P.S. I Love You" at age 21 which became an international Best Seller and a movie. She is Irish and lives in Dublin. Her father use to be the Prime Minister...informational tidbits...after all, I'm a librarian.

The reflection in on TIME. In my twenties, I was always in a hurry. Patience...nah! It was a foreign word. It wasn't that I had so much to do or any more than the next person. It was more like I was always in a hurry. In a hurry to get to the next birthday party, holiday, reunion, movie, meal, or day. I wasn't living in the moment. I was mentally preparing for future events.

Then I had children. Two beautiful girls. My heart was so full, it would spill over...often. It still does to this day. It was then I realized I needed to slow down and savor every moment with my girls. They would be grown and out on their own much too soon.

My thirties and forties were a whirlwind of school conferences, plays, meetings, committees, practices, baking, working, learning to French braid hair, cutting hair. Daily living was often chaotic and unpredictable. I can still hear the laughter as we ate meals in the kitchen. The girls often sat on the counter...laying on the counter was for homework. My youngest asked why we bought a table and chairs? I often thought it was a waste of money, but then Thanksgiving rolled around.

I reminded myself of how precious all those moments were. I tried my best to hold on and savor them. But time doesn't stand still and truthfully, we wouldn't want it to. For now, my daughters are all grown up. Precious moments have never stopped. That's the joy of life...there are always precious moments to be savored.

In my fifties there are two little boys that have stolen my heart. My heart is really overflowing now. Grandchildren...all I can say is "WOW"! Life continues. Isn't it great!

My wish for all my family and friends...savor the moments. They are what life is all about.

2 comments:

  1. This post brought tears to my eyes!! You are very right about savoring the moments. Ever since Ethan was born, I've taken life a little slower and enjoyed all the moments I know won't last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tears for me too. i love you, mom!

    you really made our childhood fun with lots of great memories and unconventional traditions!

    ReplyDelete